SC tells Comelec to comment on plea vs San Juan recall polls

SC tells Comelec to comment on plea vs San Juan recall polls

MANILA (UPDATE) – The Supreme Court has ordered the Commission on Elections (Comelec) to comment on a plea to stop recall elections in San Juan City.

San Juan Mayor Guia Gomez earlier asked the high court to issue a temporary restraining order (TRO) to prevent the Comelec from implementing its resolution which found sufficiency in the petition for recall polls.

No halt order was issued by the Supreme Court (SC) during its last summer en banc session to stop recall elections in the city.

The High Court, on Tuesday’s en banc session, instead directed the poll body, Barangay Addition Hills’ Sophia Patricia Gil, and private citizens Raymond Alzona and Jun Paul Aquino to comment on the petition of Gomez within a non-extendible period of 5 days from receipt of notice.

Gomez had challenged the proceedings before the Comelec pertaining to Gil, Alzona, and Aquino’s plea for recall elections.

The respondents are said to be supporters of former San Juan Vice-Mayor Francis Zamora.

The poll body will begin next week the verification of the authenticity of 30,000 signatures and thumbmarks of San Juan residents supposedly seeking a fresh mayoral race between Zamora and Gomez.

The recall elections must be held a year before the next polls set in 2019.

Gomez won over Zamora in the May 2016 polls by 1,000 votes.

Zamora previously said the petition reflects the clamor for change among citizens of San Juan and denied that he was seeking to establish his own dynasty in the city.

Gomez, on the other hand, rejected the recall elections saying it does not represent the “true will” of the people of San Juan.

http://news.abs-cbn.com/news/04/24/18/sc-tells-comelec-to-comment-on-plea-vs-san-juan-recall-polls

Related posts

Leave a Reply